Thursday, November 5, 2009

Leviticus

Let me start by saying this is likely to be my only ever blog on Leviticus. Cherish it.

I just finished up painfully reading through Leviticus. I say painfully because reading a rules and regulations book is not my thing, and Leviticus certainly has a few rules and regs. However, I am thankful for the Lord's leading me through it. I'm also thankful that I'm done reading through it, for now.

Here's what struck me in reading through Leviticus (don't expect anything profound...I'm a simple mind, remember?). As I read through this book and all of what the Lord expected from the Israelites, I was overwhelmed at the Lord's pursuit of a relationship with these people! How did I get that from a book talking about how to offer a burnt offering or how long someone was supposed to be unclean? This is my non-earth shattering answer: the Lord was putting these very rules and regs in place in order that the people would pursue a holy lifestyle. Why were they to pursue a holy lifestyle? Because the Lord their God is/was holy and He desperately wanted to be in relationship with them!

God was informing them of the level of commitment they needed to put forth in order that He could continue to relate to them. He is desperately pursuing a love relationship with these people. That's crazy love! If you'll recall, the Lord is demonstrating this crazy love for a group of people that are TERRIBLE at that kind of crazy love back for Him! As I read through this book, I was reminded of how great is the love of our God. I was humbled by this love. This love continues to seize me.

Not going to lie, I'm thankful that I'm through Leviticus. I'm also thankful for the Lord's love in my life.

Thanks for the overwhelming response to my last post. And by overwhelming response, I mean no response. Thank you. I got much love for you anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment