Monday, November 9, 2009

Totally Free, Yet Wholly Surrendered

There's a line from a Matt Papa song, Open Hands, that has really been the focus of my thoughts today. Here's the whole chorus:

And I lift my hands open wide let the whole world sing
how You've loved, how You died, how you set me free!
Free at last I surrender all I am with open hands

The line that has really been resonating with me:

"Free at last I surrender all I am..."
Christ has freed me from the bondage of sin. First of all, that's ridiculously extravagant because I don't deserve freedom, but I've been granted it. Secondly, the very next few words: I surrender all I am. I think that's really cool. Christ has set me free. So what do I choose to do? Give up everything I am in order to help spread the fame of Christ. I have no greater delight than to have an opportunity to trade in the story of my life, which is finite and (as I'm sure you are aware) less than entertaining, in order that I can be a part of God's story! To me, freedom and surrender typically don't go together. But in relation to Christ's freeing me and my surrender to Him, there's nothing I'd rather do.

Christ gives me freedom, and my decision is to surrender my life to His mission because it is wholly worth it. I just thought that song lyric was cool. Maybe you will too. I got much love for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment