Wednesday, February 18, 2009

This is the Day

"This is the day that the Lord has made; let us REJOICE and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24.

How many times have you heard that verse? Roughly 1,247, give or take, maybe? I think we all have no problems ascribing to the idea that the present day is one the Lord has made. Today, yesterday and tomorrow are the Lord's doing. How else would we exist if the Lord hadn't created the world, the things in it, and the chronological thing called "time", we know as days. (Ponder the idea that the Lord is not constrained by "time", and that should lead you to your knees. But that's neither here nor there in this post.)

The part that rocked my world a few days ago is the single word 'rejoice' that the Psalmist includes in this verse. According to m-w.com, "to feel joy or great delight". We are to feel joy/GREAT delight in the days we wake up and simply exist. This got my wheels turning for sure. Which day are we to rejoice in? This day. Which day is 'this day'? Well that's going to be EVERY day. Whoa! Mad props to you, if you're living that one out. Every day should provide us with joy/great delight! Every day is a day that the Lord has made, and is continuing to carry out His purpose and mission in the world. Every day is an opportunity for us to worship him for creating days, for allowing us to be a minute fragment of His plan. God is moving and today is a day for me to rejoice in that fact and have opportunity to join him!

This left me pondering the application and how it should effect my life. Being a student, there are few days that I wake up rejoicing, and I'm not saying that this verse means we should always be happy-go-lucky because there is obviously pain and suffering in this world. That should mean that I need to be more aware of the joy that exists within me because of the Lord. I guess the verse struck me (the Word has the uncanny ability to do that to me). I have so far to go before I'll look like Jesus.

Hope your world is well. I'd love to hear about it.

Mad love...

No comments:

Post a Comment