Monday, September 28, 2009

No. Not one.

The song "No Not One" by Christy Nockells/Brandon Heath has been doing some work in my life lately. Really it's the truth behind the song and some of my dealings with the Holy Spirit. Anyway, mad props to Allen and Julie because they are the ones that got me listening to it. If you haven't heard Heath's or Nockells version, hit it up. I enjoy it.

That being said, there is one line in the song that I have taken a great deal of encouragement and comfort in (bear in mind that I'm still in a depressed state lately, but I can see extremely tangible ways the Lord is bringing me out of this state). From this song, there is a line that reads 'there has never been a name above, no not one'. (For the record, this is obviously referring to the name of Jesus, and the fact that there is no name above that name.) So why is that such a revolutionary idea?

It reminds me of the greatness of the God I serve. There has never been a name above the name of my great God. "I AM". You can't beat that. This is cause for great rejoicing for me. As I have mentioned in a previous post, I am in a beautiful season with the Lord right now. This makes the fact that God is above everything that much sweeter for me. Furthermore, I believe this is where the church is falling short in its love for the Lord and for people. Ponder the names of God. I did this only briefly (I may or may not have taken a moment during this past Sunday morning's sermon), but in that brief time, the many names of the Lord rushed into my head and I knew I had only scratched the surface. Now ponder the many characteristics of the Lord. That should only take a few hours. Now ponder the attributes of God. All of these things comprise who God is and what He is to me, how He interacts with me, and how He displays his love for me (and everyone else).

I'm convinced that if the church could get herself in a position to ponder these things...truly ponder...she MUST be compelled to respond. This is in my opinion what is wrong with the church today....that's completely off topic, but I have been having an ongoing discussion with a few people about that. If and when I ever pastor a church, I feel like we will have a year long sermon series on who God is...there will be much to cover in a year! There has never been a name above. No. Not one.

Much love...

No comments:

Post a Comment