Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sinking Sand

Just a heads up: this post is a cheesy moment that I had with the Lord, and decided to share. The background: I was flipping my pictures on my phone during Ethics this morning. I saw this picture, got a good laugh, and the Lord really reminded me of some things in my life:

This is a picture of one of the two vans my team from this past summer at camp where given to get us around from place to place. Obviously, this van was not going anywhere. This picture was taken after our Director, the Mr. Bud Harlan, decided to drive the van through the sandy spot instead of staying on the pavement. This was at one of our Florida locations (Lake Yale). I made sure to let Bud know how much of a dummy I thought he was for doing this.

As I got a good laugh from looking at this picture this morning, the Lord really reminded me of how this picture is often times a picture of my life, unfortunately. Too many times I try to play around with sin, instead of taking sin (which only leads to my destruction) seriously. This photo could easily serve as the state of my life a couple months ago. I had become so lackadaisical (I just used that word) toward sin, that I had toyed with it enough that I was flat out sunk. Much like me, Bud and Pletcher thought we could sit and dig this beast out, I, too, thought I could handle my dabbling in this sin myself. I thought I could "manage" my dabbling enough that I would be ok. This proved very untrue.

In my life, I had to get to the point where I was utterly dependent on the Lord for my rescue. I was sunk in my sin, and only the Lord was big enough to pull me out. While I don't deserve anything but destruction for my sin (and I certainly am and will pay the consequences for my decisions of disobedience), the Lord being rich in mercy and having great love for me, rescued me from the pit. He pulled me out, much like Bud had to humbly ask the grounds crew at Lake Yale to bring a tractor and chain to yank our van out of the sand.

Furthermore, I was left with this thought: What are some of the other areas in my life in which I'm stupid enough to think I can dabble in sin and survive? I'm thankful for funny moments of camp (especially when I don't do something stupid to cause them)! I'm also thankful that the Lord can use crazy things to communicate His truths in my life. The bottom line: don't think you can dabble in sin and get away with it...SIN will SINK you.

Much love...

1 comment:

  1. Cheesy? Yes. Worth reading? Yes, also. I am grateful that God uses cheesy moments :)

    ReplyDelete